Top Tips for Organizing Your Kitchen
3 Tips for Getting Your Kitchen Organized
by Kimberly Hensle Lowrance
The busy school year is quickly approaching, and to be prepped for the hustle and bustle, your kitchen could probably use a touch up. The fall, right on through the winter, is often our busiest time. And much of that time is spent….in the kitchen.
In anticipation, I’m getting a head start on the back-to-school rush with a kitchen shape up. I’m sharing three no cost (and super easy) ways to get ready for what I know will be a hectic season.
Each of these organization tips can be done in 15 minutes. (Set a timer to keep yourself on track, if you’d like!) Do them all together or spread them out over several days.
1. Clean Out Your Storage Containers
Mismatched storage containers filling up drawers and cabinets in your kitchen? You’re not alone—and now is the time to get rid of the mess.
Take out all of the containers and lids from their hiding places. Place them on your countertop or table for easy access. (Put on some fun music to entertain you while you work!)
Wipe down the drawers and cabinets these containers reside in, and recycle containers and lids that are cracked, broken, or without a match.
Tip! Recruit your kids to help, making a game of who can match the most bottoms with tops.
Once the tops and bottoms are paired up, put them back in their place and high five your helpers!
2. Consolidate Your Spices
I’m always surprised how easily spice containers accumulate in my kitchen. Half used containers of rosemary, thyme, and basil tell the story of delicious meals—but overstuff my cabinet. If you have the same problem, consider purging your spices as part of your back-to-school campaign.
Take all of your spices out of their cabinet or drawer, sorting them by type. Wipe down the space where you store them. Throw away expired spices, recycling their containers.
Consolidate multiple jars of the same spice together, and make a list of which spices you’re missing for your next trip to the grocery. Consider adding purchase dates to the tops of your spice containers so you know how long they’ve been in the cabinet.
Place the spices back, using an organization technique that works best for you—like alphabetical or by use.
Tip! Keep out one spice you haven’t used in while, and pledge to cook a meal with it that week; it will be your reward for your hard work!
3. Gather Your Glassware
From well-beyond-their-time sippy cups to chipped coffee mugs, the shelves that hold glasses and mugs get filled up quickly.
Make time for another kitchen purge by taking all of the glasses and mugs out of your cabinets and cleaning off the shelves once they’re empty (Pause and appreciate that emptiness—looks great, right?).
Recycle anything that’s damaged. Put the beer glasses from college and the kids’ outgrown cups from toddlerhood in a bag to donate.
Only put back in the cabinet that which you will use, organizing the glasses by size so you can see what you have with one glance.
Tip! If possible, move the kids’ cups and glasses to a low shelf so they can help themselves.
You’re done! Pour yourself a glass of something cool to drink, toasting the completion of another organization to-do.
Did you finish all three steps? Congratulations! Now enjoy how much more organized you are as you bid farewell to summer and say hello to fall!
Making Kitchen Organization a Snap
Kitchen organization is essential – busy lives call for easy and practical solutions. Whether your meals are works of art or your idea of cooking is warming up take-out, you’ll discover easy-as-pie solutions for making your kitchen organization a snap.
Products to Help Organize Your Kitchen
Plastic Reusable Food Storage Container with Clear Lid & Lunch Tray / Bento Box, Microwave & Dishwasher Safe, 28 ounce, 10 pack
- ★ SPECIAL PRICE – Get package of 10 rectangular microwaveable plastic food containers / food savers with clear airtight fitting lids for a great price. Limited time only! Valued over $23.95!
- ★ QUALITY YOU CAN COUNT ON – Easy to use and easy to clean; reusable; stackable; functional; 100% BPA free; keeps cold items cold and hot items hot; microwaveable and dishwasher safe; can withstand temperatures up to 250°f
- ★ SUGGESTED & APPROVED – best food storage boxes; ideal for meal preparation and to store leftover meals; great for portion control or special diet; freezer to microwave real food; recommended for lunches or snacks, chips or fruits; great containers for everyday use; SPACE SAVERS! These food storage containers nest together to save space when not in use; practical, convenient & attractive!
- ★ NEW & IMPROVED LID seals tightly to keep products fresh; AIRTIGHT – delicate ingredients like fruits or vegetables stay contained in box; Dimensions 6″ x 8.5″ Height: 1.875″, Capacity: 30 oz
- ★ ENJOY OUR IRONCLAD 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE – We are so confident you’ll love our Food Containers, if you’re not completely satisfied simply let us know and we will ensure your absolute happiness! Enjoy your absolutely RISK FREE purchase at this special price today by clicking the orange Add to Cart button at the top of this page!
Made of safe POLYPROPYLENE these containers and lids are engineered for heat and cold resistance. It’s thick walls keep cold items cold and hot items hot. The containers are microwavable making these the ideal take out container. These come highly recommended as food savers for people who like to cook in batches as a perfect meal prep container. They are easy to stack in coolers and picnic baskets. Great to use for assorted chips or fruits. Think outside the box! Also the perfect container for a
- Crystal-clear, BPA-free glass is dishwasher, freezer, microwave, and oven-safe to 425°F
- Easy-find lids snap to the bases of containers and nest inside each other for easier organization
- Built-in lid gaskets prevent leaks to keep foods fresh
- Includes: 3 (1.0 Cup), 3 (1.5 Cup), 3 (2.5 Cup), 1 (4 Cup), 1 (5.5 Cup), 11 Lids
- Made in the U.S.A
This sleek, crystal clear tempered glass food storage set includes easy-find lids that snap to the bottom of the container and to each other. Bases and lids neatly nest inside each other for compact organization in your cabinets. A built-in gasket creates a leak proof seal to keep out air to help keep foods fresh. These BPA-free glass containers are dishwasher, freezer, microwave, and oven-safe to 425¡F.
Paksh Novelty Lunch Box Sets / Large Food Container with Lid / 3 Compartment Bento Box, Microwaveable, Freezer & Dishwasher Safe, Leak Proof, 10 Pack
- ★ SPECIAL PRICE – on the best microwavable containers; for a limited time only enjoy this set of 10 divided containers; 3 compartment bento boxes and clear lids that serve as lunch trays; valued over $26.95!
- ★ BUDGET FRIENDLY – new tupperware alternative; efficient and replaceable – now you can buy plenty of these easy lunch containers without worrying about cost; use them for your 21 day fix containers and meal plan; top choice meal prep containers by fitness experts, great for diet, portion control or everyday use
- ★ LUNCH BOX IDEAS – these cool plastic containers serve as the ultimate lunch box sets for adults or kids; use the no compartment bentos box for sandwich boxes; best lunch boxes for work, office or school, disposable or reusable – you won’t cry over it if left behind; preferred girls or boys lunch pack; excellent for travel; flat take out box is convenient to stay or to go
- ★ QUALITY YOU CAN COUNT ON – ideal food storage containers for your microwavable meals; 100% BPA free; no plastic-y taste; keeps cold items cold and hot items hot; safe microwave cover lid and box; dishwasher and freezer safe; can withstand temperatures up to 250f; DIMENSIONS: length 9.9″. height 1.5″ capacity per compartment: 8 ounce, 8 ounce and 16 ounce
- ★ NEW & IMPROVED – airtight lid is leak proof; fastens tightly to keep products fresh; keeps your snacks, chips or fruits separated in container with deep indents on box and lid; divided containers with lids is a neat solution for crafts and fine motor toys; SPACE SAVERS! containers nest together to save space when not in use; stackable, functional & attractive!
Meal Prep your portion control diet in advance! Top choice by fitness experts these handy 3 compartment bento boxes with clear lids are designed for easy meal prep. Made of safe POLYPROPYLENE they are engineered for heat and cold resistance. It’s thick walls keep cold items cold and hot items hot. These versatile lunch containers are microwavable for the ideal take out container. They are easy to stack in coolers and picnic baskets and it’s New & Improved AIRTIGHT lid keeps delicate foods fresh!
Kitchen Organization Products on Wayfair
Storage Container (Set of 12)5 Piece Galvanized Storage Container SetStorvino Nero 6 Bottle Wine Storage Container (Set of 2)Tin Container with LidChroma 9 Piece Container Set Color: Crystal, Green, Lavender, Light Blue, Yellow5 Piece Galvanized Container SetAMAC 5-Piece Container SetAMAC Chroma 760 5-Piece Container AssortmentKartell-One Modular Storage Unit with Feet
Organizing Your Kitchen Like a Pro
More from my site
- 1 Top Tips for Organizing Your Kitchen
- 1.1 3 Tips for Getting Your Kitchen Organized
- 1.2 Making Kitchen Organization a Snap
- 1.3 Products to Help Organize Your Kitchen
- 1.3.1 Plastic Reusable Food Storage Container with Clear Lid & Lunch Tray / Bento Box, Microwave & Dishwasher Safe, 28 ounce, 10 pack
- 1.3.2 Rubbermaid Easy Find Lid Glass Food Storage Set, 22-piece
- 1.3.3 Paksh Novelty Lunch Box Sets / Large Food Container with Lid / 3 Compartment Bento Box, Microwaveable, Freezer & Dishwasher Safe, Leak Proof, 10 Pack
- 1.4 Kitchen Organization Products on Wayfair
- 1.5 Organizing Your Kitchen Like a Pro